- The official language is Czech, but most people are also able of basic communication in English, German or Russian.
- Official currency is Czech Koruna (CZK or Kc), exchange rate
is approximately (as of August 22, 2007)
27.50 CZK / 1 EUR
20.40 CZK / 1 USD
40.30 CZK / 1 GBP
- Cash can be exchanged in banks (recommended), exchange offices (rates and fees may vary), hotels, etc.
- Most shops and restaurants accept major credit cards (VISA, EuroCard/MasterCard, sometimes also American Express). Accepted cards are usually displayed at the entrance. If you don't see your card name there, ask before purchasing anything whether your card can be used.
- Small amounts are usually paid in cash. It is not common to use a card for amounts under CZK 100
- Major credit cards can be used to withdraw Czech Koruna from ATM
- In restaurants it is common to add a tip about 5 to 10% (usually rounding up to some "nice" number)
- Official currency is Czech Koruna (CZK or Kc), exchange rate is approximately (as of August 22, 2007)
- Average september temperature in Prague is 14 C (= 57,2 F), usual temperature range is 9 to 18 C (= 48 to 64 F)
- Links about Prague and Czech Republic:
- The emergency phone number (police, fire, ambulance) is 112
- IMPORTANT WARNING: Unfortunately, like many tourist cities, Prague also has a problem with pickpockets. Please watch your belongings, especially while in the airport, public transportation and restaurants.
Transportation in Prague
- Prague has a good and affordable
system of public transportation with short waiting times.
It is not necessary to use a car or taxi.
- Metro (subway) lines A (green), B (yellow) and C (red) operate daily cca from 4:45 to 0:15 in intervals 2 to 10 minutes
- Daytime tramways and buses operate cca 4:30 to 0:30
- Night tramways and buses operate cca midnight to 5:00 in intervals 30 minutes and wait for each other on selected stops. Central changing point of night trams is the stop "Lazarska".
- There are two types of single tickets (transfer and non-transfer) and several types of discounted short-term tickets. (For example a 7-day unlimited ticket costs CZK 280, which is about EUR 10 or USD 14.) A complete overview of fares is here. All types of tickets and maps can be obtained in the airport arrival halls (see PDF with description of routes to hotels for location of booths) and in select subway stations. Single and 1-day tickets can be also bought in vending machines located in all subway stations and on many bus and tram stops, or in select newspaper kiosks.
- Tickets have to be stamped the first time you use them (in the bus or tramway or at the entrance of subway station).
- Further information, route planner and schedules are here
- WARNING: At the time of the conference, routes of some tramway lines near the venue will be changed due to roadwork. Therefore the information in your map or tourist guide may be incorrect. A map of this disruption is here and detailed information here.
- If you prefer to use TAXI, we recommend to order a car by phone
to avoid overcharging by driver. For example, call
- AAA RadioTaxi (+420) 222 333 222 (alternative local number 14014)
- CityTaxi (+420) 257 257 257
- The official maximum Taxi rates are
- CZK 40 (= cca EUR 1.50) charge on entry
- CZK 28 (= cca EUR 1) per 1 km in Prague
- CZK 6 (= cca EUR 0.20) waiting per minute
The Prague Airport Overview
- Prague Airport (Praha - Ruzyne, PRG) is rather small and orientation there is very simple.
- Flights from Schengen countries (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France,
Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal,
Austria, Greece, Sweden and Spain) arrive to terminal North 2
(= Sever 2).
All other flights (e.g. direct flights from Russia, UK, USA, etc.) arrive to terminal North 1 (= Sever 1). Both terminals are connected and it is an easy walk from one to another.
- There is a Prague Public Transportation booth in each arrival hall. See PDF with description of routes to hotels for photos of the booths.
- Taxi and bus stops are in front of each terminal.
- More information can be found on the airport website http://www.prg.aero. You may also download a short airport guide in PDF airport guide in PDF.
From the Airport to Conference Hotels
- Public Transportation.
- Hotel Shuttle.
- If you prefer to be picked up by the driver of Best Western Hotels, you need to make a request at the hotel in advance. The price is 26 EUR. See the hotel reservation form on the conference main page.
- Public Taxi Service.
- The official price should be about 20 to 25 EUR, however overcharging by taxi drivers is common in Prague. This option is not recommended if you want to avoid complications.
- See section "Transportation in Prague" above for details. Useful tips are also here.
- More options of airport transportation and outsourced services here.
From Hotels to Conference Venue
- The conference hotel Best Western City Moran is about 100 meters (300 ft) from the conference venue and in walking distance to the river and historic downtown. The distance to Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) is 1.4 km (7/8 mile).
- The second conference hotel Best Western Premier Hotel Majestic Plaza is about 800 meters (1/2 mile) from the conference venue.
- Here is a PDF document with hotels and venue pictures, addresses and walking map